View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LoveMeNow
Getting there!!

For years I had my kids clean out their rooms and closets - a couple of weeks before Christmas, clothes, toys, etc. and we brought bags and bags to a battered woman's shelter on Christmas eve. My kids really enjoyed the spirit of giving in those days. In many ways my motivation was to - clean out their rooms for more stuff they really didn't need and the battered womans shelter fit my plan perfectly.

My mom always went way over board for Christmas and unfortunately I kept up the same tradition. I have pictures of Christmas' where you can hardly see the tree because of all the presents. Looking back, I think all the "spoiling" that went on in our traditions was so unhealthy. Money, presents and trips symbolized love in my family. It was an unhealthy message and an unhealthy tradition. In hind sight, I see where my own ego played a huge part in my "act of giving."

The true meaning of Christmas, family gatherings and the joy of giving were lost in materialism. This year, it is going to be very simple.