Old 12-22-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Thanks for writing all that Quinne It's really useful to see how things have improved and you're right, it's a really good exercise to see what areas need improvement!

Physically
I think this is the biggest improvement for me. I had a lot of pain and odd symptoms which were mainly anxiety/drink related which have largely disappeared. I still have pain/discomfort from some neuropathy but in a way it serves as a useful reminder of why I can't drink! For the first 3-5 months I had lots of headaches and felt pretty tired all the time, but now I feel almost normal. I am not puffy and red and blotchy anymore I have put on quite a bit of weight now though so that is something I need to address.

Mentally
Well obviously this is a work in progress but things are so much better. I had a lot of dissociation too and lots of problems concentrating and speaking. My mind was all over the place constantly, but now I feel very calm and have almost got to the point where I can sit through a film or read for longer than 5 minutes. My emotional state is so much more stable now it's practically a miracle, but it has taken a long time to feel okay with myself and is still a work in progress.

Medically
Same as physical for me, I have awful doctors still but am persevering. I know if there was actually something serious wrong with me then they'd help me. I am going to attempt talking to them about depression at some point and may consider trying medication. At the moment I take campral for cravings and I think it helps.

Relationships
This is the area which I think needs work. I still isolate a lot. The only people I can bear being around are in AA. I have drifted away from friends because I had to stop going out and all they see is me being slightly on edge and hassled sober so they probably don't see my sobriety as the wonderful thing it is to me. I will have to try being honest at some point. I didn't have much luck telling my family. No one seemed to know about my drinking and so I am not sure they really took me seriously. But I can see much more potential in my social life now. I enjoy spending time with friends now rather than wishing I was at home drinking.

Financially
Well I work so I am okay financially but my money management is atrocious. I am spending a lot on stuff to make me feel better day by day and not really thinking of the bigger picture. I plan to sort this out early next year and plan to put money aside for the times my boiler breaks!

I am not sure my life has become manageable yet but it is so much better than it was. Really the biggest improvements for me have been internal, and really that's where it starts, but I have a long way to go.