View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
SparkleKitty

Originally Posted by h00ped View Post
OK so now I have a question - what do you think about the show Intervention. Is it codependent behavior for them to say if you don't get help today we will never talk to you again? Sounds like controlling attempt to motivate someone to finally do something.
I have watched a LOT of Intervention. The main thing to consider is that it's primary objective -- like any other television show, for better or for worse -- is to attract viewers and make money through it's advertisers. As much as I enjoy watching it (hm..."enjoy" is a weird word to use there), I think there are many different and better ways to gain an understanding of addiction.

But to your point, "sounds like a controlling attempt" -- I suppose that is a valid perspective, but I don't think it's an entirely fair one. In the best light, the interventionists are encouraging the family and friends of the addict to lay down boundaries and to enforce them in an effort to assist the addict in reaching their rock bottom. Take away their money, their haven, their source of emotional support -- in essence, give the problem back to the addict. I don't find this controlling. I think it is people taking care of themselves and allowing the addict the dignity of taking responsibility for their own lives.

What is more troubling to me, on the show specifically, is when the family and friends appear incapable of enforcing the boundaries and end up letting the addict off the hook for the consequences of their behavior. The show paints pretty stark portraits of the addicts but also of those who support the addict's lifestyle. I usually find those friends and family MORE controlling because what they are doing is helping the addict perpetuate the cycle of abuse and maintain the status quo. For whatever reason, they are more comfortable with the addict in that state.

Hm. Did I mention I watch a LOT of Intervention? Anyhoo. That's my take on it.