View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Punkin50

Originally Posted by h00ped View Post
I am not afraid of being alone, in fact, I know I would be very happy alone. I've been mostly single for my life.

I'm grieving that there is a broken person with no skills to take care of himself, and everyone ends up leaving in disgust, which perpetuates the cycle of feeling worthless, abandoned. etc. I can't see it getting better for him and this makes me really sad. I feel his pain that yet another person he does care about (and I know he does, he's not an abusive drunk, more self-punishing) is walking away. I will never not care about his heart. I might remove my own sense of responsibility for helping the situation. But I can't not hurt for my best friend's hurt.

It's just the watching someone die, and then you decide it's time to leave them by the road. This is what I am battling.

OK so now I have a question - what do you think about the show Intervention. Is it codependent behavior for them to say if you don't get help today we will never talk to you again? Sounds like controlling attempt to motivate someone to finally do something.
I don't think they are trying to CONTROLL, I feel like they are trying to help. You can't help someone that won't help themselves. I understand your feelings about him being a broken person, but who's fault is that? It isn't yours, so why should you suffer because of his decisions. Best of luck to you.