View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ordinaryworld

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Welcome, ordinaryworld. Sorry for the situation that brought you here, but glad you found us.

Read the "stickies" at the top of our home page - lots of good information there about alcoholism.

I can't answer your question - my sister is not an alcoholic and she does the same thing! We are in a hardly-speaking mode right now; I haven't had an actual conversation with her since she moved out of the state I live in last June.

But I can say that "high functioning" is a phase for alcoholics... and erratic behavior can be a sign of a alcoholism, but there are many others, too. Have you ever tried to talk with her about her drinking?
Thanks for the reply. She has been high functioning for YEARS and have been waiting for her to crash and burn. She would be on call and get drunk anyway just hoping no one would call her into work. Somehow it always worked out for her that she never got caught. She no longer has a job that requires her to be on call although she is still in the same field of work. If I tried talking to her about her drinking, I would be shown the door, hung up on and never spoken to again. She is very defensive as I know most, or all alcoholics are. I have tried speaking to other family members about it but it was like talking to a wall.