View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
tjp613

My son is a heroin addict (presently recovering-sort of) and I'm in Texas. I'm familiar with the recovery community in Kerrville also, as my son has spent much time in and out of sober houses and rehab there.

So, here is my ES&H. When my son was facing homelessness, or got tired of trying to survive in the streets while trying to maintain a very hungry drug habit, he would start making noises about going to rehab. And I do believe he meant it...at the time...but I also know he wanted a roof over his head. We'd move heaven and earth to get him in, and 2 weeks later he'd relapse while IN the treatment center!! He did this twice last summer!! Then he got thrown in jail for a $50 theft charge and man, things were really tough there!! The whining and moaning was unreal and then he started claiming he feared for his safety because he refused to join the gang...so I went and bailed him out after 3 weeks of resisting the urge. He actually had been beat up...I saw the bruises...and felt like I did the right thing....but in hindsight I only created more problems for all of us. We plunked money down for sober houses that he would get kicked out of for being dishonest or relapsing, then we sent him to another rehab, and then another sober house....BLAH BLAH BLAH. We have spent GOBS of money trying to support his "desire to get clean" and I can't say that we have accomplished very much at all. Today he's 'sober' but looking for a place to stay because he didn't like the last sober house, probably because they didn't let him drink or do drugs!! So he's on his own...couch surfing with no job, no money, no car. I think we're pretty much at square one except for the fact that he now knows the well is dry with his dad and I. The solution has to come from him. Our "helping" hasn't helped much.

We went along with the rehabs because he has excellent insurance and they were covered almost entirely. But I'm not sure how much good they did, really. In and out of sober houses has cost a lot, along with doctor visits, IOP, bail/bonds, clothing and supplies, transportation, time off from work, etc, etc.

I know its not easy, but if you can, let her fall down the hole a little farther before coming to her rescue with rehab. Maybe let her feel what its like to go thru the holidays without being able to join or speak with her family...For my son, that is extremely painful!! "You got yourself in this mess, you can get yourself out" should be your mantra....for at least as long as you can stand it before offering rehab. Keep suggesting Salvation Army like a broken record, or better yet, stop answering the phone. Hit the meetings hard and hang out here at SR.

PM me anytime if you want to talk privately. I can share info about the 2 rehabs in Kerrville if you're interested.

I"m sorry you are going thru this. (((Hugs)))