View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 11:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
PohsFriend

Does it get better?

Sure... But it's like the old saying, God answers all prayers but not always with a yes.

I know how crappy you feel right now because I've been there. We are comin up on one year since I made my wife (then gf) leave at 3am after another bad episode of drinking.

After a year of trying to help, hitting the end of my rope and giving her the ultimatum - ten following thru finally got her to hit bottom and seek help. It has been up and down but mostly up and she's a thousand times better a year later.

...but she could have gone the other way and I'd be telling you how I was dealing with abandoning the woman I love when she was most desperate.

It sucks but drawing that line sometimes seems to be the only way to force them to decide that the alcohol is causing more pain than it is numbing and seek help.

Whether he makes that choice or not, you made th choice you had to and that is nothin to be ashamed of. I can't save my wife, she has to. I refuse to watch her kill herself if she chooses not to because I won't do that to myself.

It is not unreasonable to tell someone that if they are willing to fight then you are willing to fight for them but I'd they are not then you are not willing to stand there helplessly and watch the inevitable train wreck or worse, get on that train with them.

You chose to get well and you can and you will and now your outcome is in your hands, not his.

Hang in there.