Old 12-15-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
MLH2282

Originally Posted by CowgrlInTheSand View Post
I have to admit that I have already taken a step towards protecting myself. We had been planning to move into his apartment next week. It would have been a great money saver for me, but after I found the bottle of pills last week that he said he was selling, I knew I couldn't move in with him. I signed a lease this week for my own apartment and am moving next week.

I'm honestly very worried about the move because now that we'll be living in separate apartments (he's living with me now, but has kept his apartment) I won't be able to keep a close eye on him. I suppose there's really nothing I can do, though.

The first line of your post is a tough one. I know it's all true, but how do you help someone you love without abandoning them? Do we have to break up and change the relationship into solely a friendship for me to be able to help him?
You are smart not to move in with him. That was a lesson I learned in my experience with my EXABF. You need to start caring for yourself. Ultimately, your ABF is going to do what he wants to, and being removed from that situation is actually a HUGE RELIEF. I understand wanting to keep a close eye on him, but you are not his keeper. When people REALLY want to do something, they find a way to do it no matter what.

Sometimes the best thing you can do for someone you love is "abandon" them. People have to find their own way, and most addicts have to hit rock bottom before they decide to make a change. I don't know your relationship, so I can't tell you how involved you should be with him, but I can tell you that the only way you can be a good GF or Friend to anyone is to fully love yourself. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in trying to help the addict, that we lose track of ourselves. Take some time for yourself and remember who you are and what makes you happy.

Keep your head up!

~MLH