Old 12-14-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
CowgrlInTheSand

Originally Posted by Peacegirl View Post
I believe there is also a sticky called 'what addicts do' at the top. This was a real eye opener for me, take a look at it.
Your boyfriend sounds eerily similiar to my RAH when he was still using. He is also an alcoholic but his drug of choice was always pot. Towards the end though, he started taking different pills here and there. I, like you, thought that this wasn't his preference anyway and when I found one in his pocket and he told me 'someone gave it to him and its the only one he has', I believed him. What I didn't really realize until later is that addicts will typically use whatever they can to get high. I've seen some folks on here even say they resorted to cooking wine or mouthwash! It took me a long time to understand this and to also realize the truth so I understand where you are coming from. Also, he will likely NOT ask you about the pills you took but instead just act like nothing has happened....
I found your response fascinating. I never thought for a moment that he wouldn't ask me about the missing Xanax, but you're right. That is a very distinct possibility. Here I am thinking that we're going to have this conversation once he realizes they're gone, but that might never happen.

What you said about an addict using anything to get high really rings true, as well. When I found the Xanax it made sense for a moment because as soon as he kissed me hello when he walked though the door I could tell if he'd been drinking/smoking. I'd never be able to do that with a pill. And if he stuck to taking them before bed, I'd have less of a chance to bust him because he could just say he was tired because he gets up so early (I hear that a lot). The thing is, I have learned to tell the differences in his speech and behaviors and I caught something before he went to sleep last night. Lucky me.

Last night I read the sticky called "What Addicts Do" and it was one of the posts that had the tears streaming. Those first person admissions really get to me. I just can't believe he's doing these things to me.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me. I am sure you all have heard stories like mine (and so much worse) a million times.