View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
And that wicked little voice inside a person saying, "It's all right. You just had a little too much to drink! It happens to everyone! Now you might reward yourself by having just one. To show your pals you're O.K. and that you're one of them. You can control it."
If you hear that voice inside yourself try to remember that that voice is not your friend.
Ahhh, yes, that 'voice', the source of those thoughts that say that you can drink again. Maybe not right now of course, but in a week or so, I'll have been sober for a coupla weeks, maybe only one or two. It's no big deal. I stayed off it for this time, I can do it again. I deserve it. I'll quit for good right after that. No liquor this time, just a beer or two. Wine? I'll be drinking it with that fabulous meal, and what is a good steak without a glass of red, anyway?

That voice is not you, it's the voice of your addiction doing everything within its power to get you to drink, everything in its power to raise doubt about your choice to stay sober. That addiction voice has no power at all, only the power we choose to give it. You have ultimate control, but only by making that plan to never drink, and to never change your mind. Nope nope nope.

Here's to a lifetime of sobriety for you, TTBABP. You can do this.