View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 02:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wellington1

new and nervous!!

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share my situation with people who won't judge, my friends are worried and aren't helping!
I've been with my ABF for 10 months. I had no idea for 6 months. I backed him into a corner for reasons into his behaviour as I couldn't comprehend his lack of support and why he disappeared during a traumatic family bereavement.
His initial "explanation" was that he was bi polar and used alcohol when he was low, when I delved deeper and questioned more he admitted this wasn't the case and he was "just an alcoholic"...
He is 38 and has battled since uni years. During his marriage he managed 10 years sober, an unhappy marriage I understand. He has been drinking again for the last year I believe. His divorce is proving awful for him.
I'm struggling to understand! I've been reading about enabling and detatchment and have attended an al anon meeting...
My worries are for him and for me..
Obviously his health is a huge worry
He is a professional man with a very good job which he is jepardising
He drives....
The let downs have been soul destroying- away days not happening etc
He barely sees his children- a bitter divorce
After the last disappointment which was having to miss the 1st day of a much needed break away we talked and talked. He is going to try a course of disulfiram and intends attending more meetings.
However I have heard good intentions before.
I adore this man and want to support without enabling. I'd appreciate any advice or just some support!!
xx