Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
phoebe64

I was diagnosed with fatty liver about 4 years ago. Had an ultrasound that confirmed it. At that time, I was drinking wine daily, and heavily on weekends, and also quite overweight. I was mostly told to lose weight, advised to "cut down" the drinking. I tried and did not succeed very well at either the weight loss or drinking.

Two years after that, still overweight, and still drinking, I still had elevated enzymes and then my liver was enlarged and so was my spleen. I was also diabetic. Triglycerides very high.

I had a biopsy. I have some scarring, but not cirrhosis. There are grades to it and cirrhosis is after progressing to a pretty severe grade of fibrosis. Now, I was told it was from a combination of the obesity, diabetes, and the drinking. But I know I was drinking way too much(though a fraction of some stories I read on here, just FYI).

Anyway, after about 12 weeks sober, and significant weight loss, and controlling the diabetes with diet and exercise, I got the enzymes close to normal(they were a few points high, but hepatologist called it "essentially normal"). My cholesterol and triglycerides had gotten to the high normal range and so had my blood sugar.

A year later, about a year ago from now, my liver and spleen were normal sized and my liver enzymes the lowest ever, and completely normal.

So, my experience was that you can improve it a great deal.

My physicians have told me you can only know about fibrosis by having a biopsy.

Amazingly, my liver doc said I could have the occasional glass of wine, last year. Well, that ended badly with me having too much. I had stopped so easily when I was "sick" so I really though ti had it under control. I learned that I cannot have just one or just the occasional glass of wine.

So here I am again, on day 16.

But this time for good. I hope I did not do much more damage. I have kept my blood sugar normal and my weight loss off, other than 10 that cam back. I had lost 60 pounds, and now more like 50.

Good luck and I hope you can get things back to normal.