View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lvcluny

Neverending Cycle

My husband and I have been together now for 8 years and we decided to recently have a baby. I never realized how much he was drinking and feel stupid for not seeing it earlier. He is a functioning alcoholic and can actually acheive straight A's in school and never experiences a hangover.

When I was about 4 months pregnant, he took it upon himself to quit drinking and realized he did have a problem. He went to the doctor and put himself through a medicated detox program in September. I became aware of the problem at this time.

Ever since then things seems to just be getting worse. He hasn't been able to quit and now hides alcohol from me. Whenever I find it, he lies, makes excuses, and starts a fight with me trying to blame it on me for attacking him. Just last week he claimed he was putting himself through detox again and last night he was back to drinking. I worry he will never quit and now that I am 8 months pregnant, I can't rely on him to drive me to the hospital.

I found a local class for family dealing with alcoholism that I am going to attend. I still haven't been able to convince him to see a counselor. I guess I am wondering what steps I should take to help him quit and reduce the arguments.