Old 12-06-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
OhBoy

My STBXAW's first DUI involved a very serious accident where she was hospitalized for about a month. She hit a tree dead center at about 50 mph, the seat belt tore her open across the waist rupturing her intestines. Her lawyer suggested that because of this it let the alcohol go straight into her blood stream & that's why she had a BAC of .38. She then had the perfect alibi, she didn't have a problem, it was that damn seat belt! Of course she said she only had 2 or 3 glasses of wine (it's always only 2 or 3 isn't it!) so the lawyer was dumbfounded as to why her BAC was so high, thus the seat belt theory. It seemed like BS to me, but at that point I was still pretty well rooted in my own denial & it was my job to "support" her so I just went along. That was about 4 or 5 years ago.

A few weeks ago she got another DUI, the weekend she moved out of the house no less, with a BAC of .24. She has the same lawyer, wonder if he'll have any theories this time? At least she'll be forced into treatment. I hope she accepts the help & doesn't just go through the motions. This time I'm not in denial & I am not there to "support" her. I hope this is the best thing that ever happened to her.

She accepted the lawyers enabling, she held onto it as if was the most precious thing in the world. I can't really fault the lawyer, it's not his job to make her get help. That being said, it didn't help her & at best it gave her 5 more alcoholic years where she lost her marriage, a few jobs, her dream house, countless friends & her health. But maybe that's what she needed to get help, at least that is my hope. It's not mine to figure out, it's hers alone.