Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
thequest

Do lawyers enable the alcoholic? dui case

Had a family member who has been a heavy drinker for decades among other things get stopped for driving drunk. No accident involved just "careless" driving.

I'm all for a legitimate legal defense but according to the "client" the lawyers told him anything from don't worry v i ps & celebrities get popped for the occassional dui or you just drank a little too much one time. The lawyers even told him there will be mandatory classes where they'll try to make you seem like an alcoholic. He was scared and depressed following his arrest but now after a few sessions with the lawyers he can't wait to drink again. Don't know how truefull he was about his daily consumption or other things.

But should a lawyer down play alcoholism classes? Is it normal? To me there is a difference between trying to get your client the best deal and dissuading your client from a class that might help them. Again a charged person should be allowed the best defense possible including an attack dog lawyer but should lawyers dealing with pretty obvious substance abuse cases be down playing or steering their clients away from things that might actually help even if just plants the seed of there being a problem?