Old 12-04-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
interrupted

Gift giving for the family struggling with addiction

This topic came up in another thread, but I thought it might be nice to have a dedicated thread on the subject. I'm struggling through the holiday season, still not sure if I'm travelling back home or not. I'd like to send something to let them know I'm thinking about them, even if (or especially if?) I end up not visiting this year.

In the past I selected very poorly, both for the addicts in my family as well as for their enablers. What ended up happening was that they would (I guess) trade or sell the gifts I gave them, and then steal and sell the gifts I gave my mom and my aunt. My mom has no jewelry left and I foolishly thought that I wanted to treat her to something special. As I type this I really can't even believe how naive I was. Wow. Well, those gifts are long gone.

This year I think I might try the warm accessories suggestion, maybe matching scarf/hat/gloves. Perhaps some warm slippers for my mom, maybe a matching bathrobe. Not sure, hopefully I can find something that will be nice and make her feel good but not have a lot of monetary "street" value.

I know not everyone has to deal with someone who might steal or sell anything of value, but many of us are facing that situation. How do you plan to handle the gift giving in your family?