Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
markh

Tingly face and loss of beer love. What's going on?

Hi Folks ... Maybe I can get your thoughts about something. I feel a little selfish jumping in here and just asking, but there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people.

First, I like drinking, especially beer. Honestly, I've made it a hobby. And I drink a lot (for me it's like cheese cake). When I drink I don't get drunk after 4 or 5 beers. I run out of stomach before I run out of sobriety. It is VERY unusual for me to go to bed with a buzz. To do that, I have to drink hard liquor, which I occasionally do. A bottle of wine will get me buzzed, but I don't drink that too much.

I'm 54, and I've enjoyed the taste and flavor of beer and liquor for years.

Until last week :-(

I woke up with a tingly forehead. And when I considered the previous night after my customary 4 or 5 beers, I really felt like crap afterwords, like I had food poisoning or something -- really weird.

I didn't connect the feeling to the beer.

By the afternoon of the next day I felt good, but face still tingly. I chalked it up to coming down with something. Maybe I had a tinge of the flu or I ate something bad.

That night, customary 4 or 5 beers. To my astonishment, SAME THING! Next morning, tingly feeling MUCH worse and hasn't gone away yet.

Okay, I'm not stupid. I realized to my horror that it was the beer. (BTW, I drink dark beer, the darker the better).

I am not a person who does things that make me feel bad. And I drink beer because I like it (admittedly too much). But when I look at the 12 pack of dark beer I have in the fridge now, thinking about drinking it makes me want to puke. Suddenly, I don't even want it.

I don't see myself as an alcoholic, just a guy who drinks beer, maybe a little too much.

It's been 5 days, my face is still a little flushed feeling. What's going on here? I'm in good shape, I don't miss work, I don't binge drink and I exercise 3 times per week at the gym.

- Have I just reached my "Max beer" amount?

- Why is my face flushed?

- I don't have any issues with hands/feet, why the forehead?

- Could I have suddenly become allergic to alcohol?

- Why does it make me sick to actually think about drinking the beer in my fridge suddenly? (I LOVE beer).

- I thought alcoholics felt good when they drink? Why would it make me ill? (gag!) Will I re-acquire the love of beer, or do I have to get a divorce?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.