Thread: New and Scared
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sunshine1919

New and Scared

What a great site! I am posting because I want to quit drinking but I am scared because it has been a fixture in my life for so many years. Most of the people I spend my time with, including my husband, also drink heavily and I am afraid that they will not understand that I want to get sober. Most of my friends and family live out of town so they don't know how much I drink. I plan to attend my first AA meeting on Monday (no one knows). Scared but excited about what it will do for my future.

I am worried for my health. I got a concussion a couple of weeks ago and my memory is slow to come back. I also worry about my liver, etc. I want to live a happy and healthy life. I have wasted too many years abusing alcohol. I am afraid to quit cold turkey because I know it is dangerous. I can't do detox or rehab because I don't have insurance that covers it and can't take time off of work. I am trying to taper down until I can eliminate it completely. I am hoping that going to AA meetings will help encourage me along my path.

I know I will be questioned by people as I am cutting back/quitting and I am going to say alcohol doesn't agree with me anymore. I have to stay strong and steadfast, knowing that I am stronger than this poison that tries to control me.

Does anyone have advice for my first AA meeting and dealing with being around drinkers while being sober? Thank you so much in advance and for all of your positive posts in the past. They have helped encourage me to make this positive move in my life.