View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
interrupted

Last year I drove for four days back home for Christmas and while my sister was out of jail at the time, the cousin that is very close to us (also a heroin addict) was in jail. I didn't go visit her. I probably wouldn't have gone to visit my sister if it were her in jail instead, I wouldn't have wanted to, but I wasn't active in recovery then so I may have had trouble enforcing any boundaries. I've never gone to the jail and I'm not comfortable starting now.

I'm eager to visit with my sister once she is demonstrating behavior consistent with active recovery. Unfortunately, I think it could be a while before that day comes. I hope she will make that decision, but it will be hard for her with all of the toxic enabling swirling around her right now.

If I went back this year and my sister was in jail, I would not visit her. It's too painful to be an active participant in her life while she's choosing to abuse drugs. There's nothing cruel about enforcing your own boundaries to protect yourself.