View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
paul99
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by Caledonia1 View Post
Hi been attending and sober now for almost 9 months. Initially got myself a sponsor but our paths hardly ever cross these days and we never actually started the program.

There is a woman who is my sponsors, sponsor whom I can speak freely with.
I havven't spoken with my sponsor in months. Is it okay to ask someone else?
I don't want to hurt her feelings as I never really gave our relationship a real go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I need more than just staying sober.
You don't mention why you and your sponsor don't speak or see each other, but it sounds it may have something to do with her schedule or something? Regardless, I don't see why you can't ask someone else to be your sponsor. 9 months and haven't worked the steps is pretty long. I don't see how you can hurt the feelings of someone you have no contact and/or relationship with. Jump in, get someone else. And if your "sponsor" gets upset, well, then she wasn't great sponsor material in the first place. Sponsors are there to work you through the steps, first and foremost - it's not a marriage. Sponsors know that the day will come when one of their sponsees may change to someone else. And that is fine - our paths change and grow, and we may need someone else to take us to another level. Never hard feelings.

Go for it, get a sponsor who is willing to take you through the steps right away. And then tell your old one that you are moving on and thank you and see you at the meetings.