View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
paul99
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Bang on! You certainly sound like you have the willingness and openness for this step! And that's the important thing.

The 12&12 has some great words regarding this step:

If we ask, God will certainly forgive our derelictions. But in no case does He render us white as snow and keep us that way without our cooperation. That is something we are supposed to be willing to work toward ourselves. He asks only that we try as best we know how to make progress in the building of character.

So Step Sex--"Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character"--is A.A.'s way of stating the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job. This does not mean that we expect all our character defects to be lifted out of us as the drive to drink was. A few of them may be, but with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement. The key words "entirely ready" underline the fact that we want to aim at the very best we know or can learn.

How many of us have this degree of readiness? In an absolute sense practically nobody has it. The best we can do, with all the honesty that we can summon, is to try to have it. Even then the best of us will discover to our dismay that there is always a sticking point, a point at which we say, "No, I can't give this up yet." And we shall often tread on even more dangerous ground when we cry, "This I will never give up!" Such is the power of our instincts to overreach themselves. No matter how far we have progressed, desires will always be found which oppose the grace of God.
Steps 6 and 7 are sometimes called the "forgotten" steps, and may not capture the imagination as the other steps do (on initial review), I have found them critical to my recovery. The BB gives them a paragraph each, but boy are they powerful and vital steps!

Good luck!