View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Actually there is a 'free' rehab all over the country. It is quite good and for those that
'stick it out' the full 6 to 9 months the recovery rate is quite high.

What is this place you ask. It is the Salvation Army. Yes, it is free. Yes it is a very
'intense' program that gives one all the tools they need AND helps them to figure out
how to use those tools in recovery.

To the original poster, yes I watched the 'marathon' last night. It was pretty much
newer episodes. Even after all this time, I can still get triggered on the ones that
show them using a needle. As a side note, I am a diabetic now, have been diagnosed
for about 12 years now. When I first had to start using insulin it was really hard for
me using the needles, to inject the insulin, rofl (yes it is funny to me now, in a bizarre
way, because when I had to start using insulin I was over 23 years sober and clean.
I was very grateful when they came out with the 'pens' and I use them exclusively
these days. And I am not as triggered today.

I have also had sponsees that could not watch certain episodes because of how they
would be triggered, whether it was an alcoholic that just drank 24/7 or with some, like
me it was an addict that was injecting and the needles would trigger them.

Please keep in mind that the only episodes that are shown are the ones that do agree
to go to rehab. They have many more that say NO and do not go. Also, it is a 'one
way air plane ticket'. so if the person leaves rehab early, they are on their own to get
back to their home town. How do I know? My cousins daughter was one of the ones
who left rehab early and literally begged rides all the way back to Utah. Then 6 months
later, she got clean on her own when she found out she was pregnant and is coming up
on two years the beginning of next month.

Overall though I do believe the show is a very informative one, and I do try and watch it
whenever I can. I learn an awful lot from the 'facilitators' each time they show the
'pre intervention'.

J M H O

Love and hugs,