Thread: My own path...
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
vinyl

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Actually, not a few by any stretch. An untold vast number have quietly self-recovered over thousands of years by deciding they are forever done.
I was referring to here, in this forum. But yes, let's just call it billions of people so you are satisfied.

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I personally believe that people lose the battle to addiction precisely because they avoid anxiety and undue pressure. There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
Again it seems I did not articulate my meaning then. In my practice there is no avoiding natural feelings as they arise, whether it's anxiety, happiness, anger and so on. Quite the opposite in fact. It's the key to my practice. However some (many, millions billions, two, whatever number helps you understand) do not believe in controlling the future. This is just a fact, and it doesn't not mean they are not as enlightened as you are. It simply means adding unnecessary concepts is not needed for them.

And let's not get into who's path has been around longer, I think I'd win that one. Addiction to alcohol is a symptom of a much deeper samsara. I won't go in depth here, but living in the present moment and the Dharma has been around and practiced by quite a few more than those who just practice the phrase, I will never drink again. You'll just have to trust me and the centuries old teachings of Buddhism I guess.

Not sure how you are missing this and why we must belabor this simple difference, but it's ok, I will continue to discuss it over and over if you would like me to. But anyway, all my best to you and your path. I'm sincerely happy it works for you. Hopefully at some point you'll agree to disagree and not misunderstand what I'm saying or continue to take what I say out of context. Either way, be well.