Thread: My own path...
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
vinyl

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I thought the dicussion was about the use of "never" in relation to drinking alcohol, not whether the future in general is unknown. Guess I was confused. Oh well...
In my experience and understanding, the use of never in relation to alcohol IS the future unknown. As already pointed out, some have zero difficulty stating they will never drink again. However those are the very fortunate few I suppose. There is another large segment of people struggling with alcohol that find the finality of the statement to cause anxiety and undue pressure which many unlike yourself end up drinking again due to losing the battle against it.

However, it works for you, and that's awesome! I have found that I simply don't need that mantra in my life whatsoever, so I fall out of both camps I suppose. It's unnecessary for me. For me, not drinking right now gives me cause to celebrate my sobriety every passing moment without having to add anything extra to it, like a promises to myself regarding the future of drinking.

Please don't confuse this with intention. I don't intend to drink. The difference is impermanence and the idea that one has control over the future. I personally do not. Clearly some of you have a deep enough understanding that finality over what is to come is something you have clear control. That is just not my understanding nor experience.

For many, like yourself, the statement I will never drink again is just fine to use, but it's not for me. This I assume is the fundamental difference in our practice and though it may seem like a minute one, I think it's an important discussion. I'm glad you guys have been a part of it. I'm learning a lot. .