View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
whatsgoingon

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd post a quick update.

I am almost 10 weeks sober! Reading back through this thread and my first post I feel I have come a really long way. Its amazing to think that only 2 and half months ago my life was literally spiralling out of control. Things are much better now, don't get me wrong I still have a long way to go but I'm getting there.

I'm amazed at the challenges I have overcome on my journey. I got through a testing weekend when my sister in law and her family came to stay for the weekend and I carefully negotiated Beaujolais day unscathed! Right now I don't miss alcohol, I don't want alcohol and I seldom think about it. Its been a while since I last posted on here which is testament itself I guess to my state of mind and I really feel I have turned a significant corner.

I do have some issues I need to address such as stress and depression and I'm hoping I can deal with those very soon. The main thing was getting a handle on my drinking which I have done and now I can start to look at other areas of my life.

For any newbies out there reading this I wish you all good luck. Giving up drinking can be done and I found that once I got over the psychological battles and stopped questioning everything it started to get easier. My main hang up was worrying what other people would think or say about me giving up drinking. I'm not so bothered anymore and to be honest I don't make a big deal out of it, I just say I'm not drinking I don't give a reason and no-one ever ask why. I used worry about being in scenarios where I would be under pressure to drink but now I just look after me and don't worry about other peoples opinions.

One little mantra or thought that has kept me going is this ....

I've told myself that giving up drinking will be the key to the rest of my life and the catalyst to make my life successful.

In essence I've convinced myself that if I can give drinking I can achieve anything!