View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
scacra1

Thanks for the post NYC.
i have read more than you can imagine about the 'disease' of alcoholism, and there are so many critics of each theory. Some believe abstinence is the only way, some believe in non abstinence recovery, some believe its a disease, some believe its just bad behaviour.
All i can tell you is my experience, my partner over the past 2 years has not progressed but slowly decreased his habit. He used to drink sat/sun all day until he was unconscious, he used to drink every week night, he used to hide drink, lie about drink and hurt people he loved again and again due to drink.
slowly but surely over the last 2 years ALL of the above have stopped, and were left with a Friday night drink, a Saturday night drink (but not drunk) and a a few glasses of wine on a Sunday.
Im under no illusion that hes still an alcoholic. fact. but if he can maintain this and keep progressing in the right way, it must be better for his health, him as a person, me, his family his job etc... and 2 years of cutting back is progressive, but in a different direction!
im prepared to support him with this and take the risk for the happiness its brings so many people right now.
in the back of my mind i have my own worries, i always will have, and totally accpet your view.
ill keep updating.