Thread: Wavering
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
sothisisit

That is a difficult one dogmamma, as I've known that state of mind very well. No slogan, saying, or tag line, has ever stopped me drinking. I'm learning to not identify myself with those feelings quite as much as I have in the past.

All I can offer is that the further away from alcohol I get the more I can put my problems in perspective and can see possible avenues of restoration of my life. I'm a pessimist by nature but even so, I have to put some stock in the fact that so many people say that it does get better in time. I am no longer quite so self centred that I dismiss others peoples experience of an improved life through sobriety because I'm so different, unique and special. It's not that they are better than me, smarter, luckier, whatever but that they actually gave themselves a chance to heal.

Even though I don't believe in a god or higher power, or expect outside redemption from alcohol, just letting my body and mind get a break from the poison I've poured into them has produced positive results. 14 months ago I had spent time in jail and when I got out was sleeping in the park. This is after owning a house in a desirable part of the city. I had a good job etc. etc. I no longer compare myself to that person. I also don't identify with the person who spent the last of his savings on lawyers, spent time in jail, and slept outside. I'm totally different and my values are different. I am by no means thrilled with my life now and I go through deep depressive phases, but its a heck of a lot better than it was a year ago and I'm willing to suspend belief that it won't be even better next year.

I'm rambling here and don't know if it makes sense but you struck a nerve with me and I sincerely hope you let yourself get back to being who you can be.