View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
wpainterw

College drinking is a terrible problem, both for the students and for the administrators. Fortunately, despite all the drinking I was able to get a fine education out of college but I must admit that it took me a good way up the path to eventual alcoholism. In a culture where drinking is considered almost a "must" for social acceptance, particularly on weekends (in my day a teetotaler was often labeled as a "queer") the pressures to drink, and often to drink excessively, may appear overwhelming, particularly to a person who is shy and uncertain of herself. And then there is the problem of enormous college costs these days. So college becomes a very expensive way in which to develop a life threatening illness.
There are no easy answers. Suffice it to say that many kids do get through college and get a fine education without becoming alcoholics. Others are not so fortunate. Not only do they emerge ill educated and in debt but they have acquired a terrible illness which saddens their future lives.

W.