Old 11-17-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  
Portia123

KKE, first, welcome to SR ... You are in the right place. There is so much I can share of my experiences that mirror yours. I've been with my AH for 8 years. He was a heavy drinker when we met, but in these years of living with the disease, and 4 years of AlAnon, his disease has progressed and in the process learned a lot of things.

First, none of this is your fault. You cannot control this disease, you did not cause it, and there is no cure, all one can do is arrest the disease. It's progressive and if not arrested, it will result in death. The A do the work, you can't do it for him. Try several different meetings til one you like. They told me to go to 6 meetings. And the God thing, it's really Higher Power - that can be anything, God, Jesus, nature, music, the sky - whatever thing that I draw comfort and hope from. Keep going, it may well be time for you to start healing and take care of yourself and learning how to detach from the behavior.

My AH still actively drinks, but it has decreased exponentially after rehab, he goes to AA, goes to counseling every week, and does work his program. His slips are fewer and farther between and as he gets older (he's 55) it seems his interest is more about quality of life and he's less interestd in drinking. But it took alot alot a lot of work for HIM to get here. Mic he didn't have the motivation to arrest his disease, I'm quite sure he'd be dead today. So, it sounds like from your posts that your parntner is not ready to work a program to arrest the disease. 12 step plan is one program, even for me to help me, there are other programs out there. In other words, one has to find a program and have the desire to get well. Until that happens, you have to do whatever it takes to draw boundaries, detach from it, not enable it, and concentrate on being happy. Until my RAH got help, and i did too going to AlAnon, I experienced the same things you are experiencing.

As to the furniture and the financial entanglements, just do what you want to do. You've asked him for help, I'd just assume you will never get help, stop expecting him to help, and just be done with it. If it were me, I would take half the money or whatever was mine, withdraw it, open new accounts and do everything in could to disentangle.

I might have a few more comments as I read through this thread, just know you are fine! I hope I don't sound harsh, I say all of this with kindness and from a place of sameness... Take what you like and leave the rest ... Good luck to you...