Thread: Withdrawal?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
iseult

Originally Posted by sothisisit View Post
I was an insane drinker and I know withdrawal very well unfortunately.

Was it easy? Hah!

I would be unable to sign my name I was shaking so bad.
I would have to crawl to the washroom and if I wanted water, I'd crawl towards the kitchen but would give up halfway through.
Couldn't stand for more than a few minutes as I was so dizzy.
Dry heaves for days.
Hiccups that on one occasion lasted 5 days.
Insomnia for more than a week.
I couldn't close my eyes at night because the hallucinations were so horrible.
I wouldn't look in the mirror but when I di by accident I would be stunned at the bruises and cuts and would have no idea how they got there.
I would reluctantly, once and a while, look at my answering machine and shudder at all the messages. Eventually, after enough withdrawals I would notice that people would stop leaving messages.
Would be so hot that I couldn't wear clothes but then would suddenly have to wrap myself in blankets because I was so cold that my teeth would chatter.
My heart would feel like it was going to explode.
On the occasion that I decided to phone 911 because I was so panicked it would take me forever to manage pushing the buttons on the phone.

In general, the hangovers which would take about a day early in my drinking, developed over time to be horrible withdrawals that could last more than a week before I could actually leave the house.

I could drone on (I haven't even touched upon the self loathing and guilt I'd go through) but, no, it wasn't as easy as just stopping.
Wow, thanks. I am so so sorry you went through all that.

Once I got through the worst of the physical side effects (I still have them- weak, can't sleep, headaches, sometimes hear things in the night), the anxiety is still there but not as bad. And don't get me started on how terrified my phone makes me.

Glad you got through it.