Thread: Withdrawal?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
iseult

Withdrawal?

Hi guys. I've been reading loads of posts nonstop the last few weeks and joined yesterday. I spent most of last night reading recovery stories. That combined with my daily AA meetings, I'm left with questions.

So many of the stories were "So I decided to quit right then and there, got to a meeting, got sober..." (something along those lines).

For me, that first step was never easy because of the withdrawal, even though everything in me wanted to stop drinking. I feel a bit awful asking such an ugly question, but because withdrawal for me was so freaking painful and most the reason why I ended up giving up and getting another bottle, I need to know- was it really that easy for you guys to just "put the drink down and get to a meeting"? I ended up in the ER half the time because I thought I was going to die. The sweats, the nausea, shaking, the numb hands and feet, and the god awful anxiety. Unable to walk, unable to think, wanting to die, living minute to minute- I'd last a few hours, sometimes a whole day, but would give up because the only thing that stopped it was a drink, at least for awhile until withdrawal came back and reared its head ten fold (then rinse and repeat).

Thanks, guys. Just wondering.