View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

My oldest daughter lived the first eight years of her life with the insanity of an alcoholic/addict mother.

I went to rehab in 1986, stayed sober/clean for four years. Then after two miserable months of drinking again, I got clean/sober in August of 1990, and have remained so. She grew up around the rooms of AA/NA. She knows what recovery looks like.

She has chosen to deal with her childhood issues by becoming an addict herself. She's also codependent and chooses abusive men. She's 34 now. She started at age 15.

Today I completely understand the intense pain I put my own parents through by dealing with an addicted child myself. The wreckage is beyond description.

Also, my father lost both of his parents to alcohol-related deaths. His mother was 42 and died from cirrhosis of the liver. A year eariler his father died drunk (also in his 40's) in a fire at the booze joint he owned. My dad was still in high school and had two younger brothers to raise.

I love him dearly but I see the lifetime damage to him. He's a workaholic perfectionist. Even though he's retired now, he has no idea how to relax.

It's sad to see.