View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
BlueSkiesAgain

You can only choose your behavior and right now you are choosing for you and your child to live with an active alcoholic. You are choosing to drink with a child in the house that is living with an active alcoholic. You are choosing to give her all the power. You can't stop her from doing anything but you are making as many choices as she is. I'm sorry I sound harsh but I don't think I have read anyone on the forum who has children who finally got out of the house with an alcoholic spouse say they wish they had stayed longer. Most of the people who have experienced this have said they are sorry they allowed their children in this situation for so long. Even though your child is young this alcoholic parent will have an influence on his life. Right now you are in the place to determine just how much and to what degree it can harm him.

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
I've tried that approach in the past - no go. I heard, "You're not the boss of me", "If you want to stop, that's your choice". Etc., etc., etc.

I've been around this forum long enough to know that you can't stop an alcoholic from drinking unless it's their choice. I could throw out all the booze in the house - and she would go and buy more, and waste even more money.

I would be open to the idea of no drinking "IF" she admitted there is a problem and would be willing to quit. There is still too much denial and her thinking that she has total control over it, so anything I do means absolutely zilch.