View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
CentralOhioDad

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
In your first post Ohiodad you mentioned you drink with her. That is sending out the wrong signal to her. If you consider her drinking to be a problem and a risk to your child, and a threat to your marriage, I would suggest that you stop drinking, completely, with her for a period of time. And tell her you want her to stop drinking completely, anytime, anyplace, any reason. Period. Stop. total sobriety.
Half measures avail the alcoholic nothing.
I am a recovered alcoholic wife and total sobriety was the only solution.
I've tried that approach in the past - no go. I heard, "You're not the boss of me", "If you want to stop, that's your choice". Etc., etc., etc.

I've been around this forum long enough to know that you can't stop an alcoholic from drinking unless it's their choice. I could throw out all the booze in the house - and she would go and buy more, and waste even more money.

I would be open to the idea of no drinking "IF" she admitted there is a problem and would be willing to quit. There is still too much denial and her thinking that she has total control over it, so anything I do means absolutely zilch.