View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
BadCompany

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
What bothers me is the fact that this guy wants to work the steps and his sponsor isnt getting there. He has read the book. Identifies with our COMMON problem and is interested in our COMMON solution. I am one of many who knows and can take another person to that solution. It is a matter of responsibility. AA is a program of recovery, the end result of which is a spiritual awakening. We are given the power to help people. I see nothing condescending about suggesting that this guy seeks help elsewhere. Im not going to stand by and watch untreated alcoholism take its course while saying things like "you're doing great" when this guy wants the solution that recovered members of AA carry.
I'll take anyone through the steps. Anyone. Men, women, other peoples sponsees, no ones sponsees. I keep a couple of notebooks in my vehicles just for that purpose. I don't give a **** if I'm stepping on someones toes. I don't. I have had people pissed at me. I have been sent messages. I don't care if they dump their sponsor and have me sponsor them. I don't care if they work the steps with me and they keep their old sponsor. Getting the new guy through the steps is what we do here. If we fail at that the new guys failure is our fault.

This is a blood sport. Don't ever forget that.