View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

There are some very good resources on the web. you just gotta look. When I did that, I found lots of info about it, as well as lots of info on how. It's not as weird or new-agey, crystals and kharma as you might think. People have been using these ideas for thousands of years, but our western society has yet to embrace it.

It is a very personal thing, and you might have to look for ideas that appeal to you uniquely. Here are some things that appealed to me.
Urge Surfing was my entry point into this idea of meditation. It is an important tool that showed me how to deal with my addictive urges calmly and successfully.

From that, I learned that this urge surfing was a form of Mindfulness, a word I had used before without knowing what it meant. It is about being able to have all of my attention on the present time, not my regretful past or my fearsome future. The first time I did this it was only for five minutes, but it seemed as though I had been on a vacation afterwards. What a relief it was to not have my chattering brain beating me up for a change.

From there, I looked for information on 'follow your breath' and 'progressive relaxation' and 'non-dual meditation'. For the last one, try this 10 minute guided exercise. Non-dual Guided Meditation - YouTube.

I also looked up this guy named Eckhart Tolle and read his book 'A New Earth'. I recommend it. The ideas in it are simple, beautiful and powerful.

I hope you find these ideas helpful, Shoebox. Mindfulness has been essential to me in maintaining sobriety. Namaste.