View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Originally Posted by majool View Post
i think the reason i continue is the fear that i can't do it on my own. Earn money, look after my kids, keep a home etc - all the stuff that millions of people do every day - but i don't believe i am good enough to do it myself.
I believed the same thing for many years! When I finally left my EXAH, I had an 8-year-old daughter (not his).

With the exception of two serious relationships, I have been on my own and raised two daughters since the late 80's.

Was it hard? Yes. Were there times I cried and thought I just couldn't keep going? Yes. The amazing thing was that taking it one day at a time, even 5 minutes at a time if necessary got me through all those years.

I got help where I could get it like applying for daycare assistance through social services. There were times I had to go to the food bank to make things stretch.

I worked any job I could get to put food on the table and pay the bills. I worked in a welding shop for a year. I washed dishes at a restaurant for 3 years.

I got continuing education in when possible. I attended tech school in 95 to get my certification in computer programming. I took college classes when I could, and finally enrolled full-time at the age of 50 to get 2 associate degrees.

There is no greater satisfaction in looking back and seeing just how far I have come, all the adversities I managed to get through, and I'm a pretty "alright" gal these days!

The biggest blessing I have had all these years is my circle of support through AA/NA and Alanon (I'm also a long-term recovering addict/alcoholic). Those are the people who kept me going, who saw the growth in me long before I did.

I understand your fear. That fear paralyzed me for many years.

I believe in you. I hope you come to believe in yourself!

Sending hugs of support from Kansas!