View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Caldus

Well, I look back at what I was like 73 days ago since I started recovery:

- I was terrified, believed fully in my mind that I would lose my job, not able to even do basic things at work
- I was just terrified inside anyway -- always super anxious and dreadful about everything
- Drinking boatloads of beer every night -- and embarrassing as it is -- wetting my couch, bed, and other furniture multiple times (I know, gross!)
- Not horribly hungover in the mornings/afternoons anymore and it can actually eat other things again!
- Getting to the point where I needed to binge right when I got home from work and in the middle of the day on the weekends
- Never able to just feel completely calm and have a "this too shall pass" attitude on things
- Now in AA, with a sponsor, home group, and got a good recovery program going so far
- Feeling a lot more peace now

So I would say the hard work has payed off so far. If it got better so far, then it must get even better than this eventually, right? I have to have some faith, continue my program, and just wait for these things to happen (obviously taking action in the meantime).

I guess in the end, recovery is very important in the beginning. But after a long while, as long as you have a solid recovery program going, you can start to focus more on life again too -- like the things you want to pursue in life, your dreams, etc. -- those things you wanted to do but could never do because you were too busy getting drunk all the time!