View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sapling

That's interesting....I don't know if I over analyzed it...Or just put everything I had into it...To start. I drank a long time...35 years that got progressively worse as promised..When I got to the point I couldn't live like that anymore...I had no choice but to throw all I had into recovery....I worked on it like I drank...Hard. I look at it like I invested my first six months into saving my life. I use AA simply because it's the program my rehab recommended and it's the one I've seen with the most success....No other reason.
They told me to do 90 meetings in 90 days....I did over 180...i got a sponsor...As suggested to take me through the steps...And did the steps...Within the 90 days. I continued to attend one meeting a day till I got to six months....By then my recovery program had taken shape...I had a simple recovery program to live by...My obsession with alcohol no longer existed for me...And I had an incredible support network that are now close friends....Most important for me...I have a purpose in life now...I can be useful. I can help someone that suffers like I did. What a gift.
I get to a few meetings a week now...Because I really do enjoy them...But better yet....I'm enjoying being sober. I just got to 16 months sober...But I understand now how that early investment pays off...And how my AA friends have reached so many sober years.....Maybe I didn't over analyze it....Maybe I just learned to simplify it.