View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
cangel2

I am glad that things are calm and there is a plan in place that you feel comfortable with for the moment. That said I found in my experience with my son that the very best place for him was in the hands of professionals who had "seen it all before" and knew how to approach early recovery.

The thought of even trying to guide my son through that or make decisions about what would be best for him was too overwhelming for me. I just knew at some level that I did not have the expertise to help him in the way he needed.....and I loved him enough to tell him that. If you feel a rehab/program is going to be best for him please do not let go of that idea and keep moving in that direction. Sometimes in our lives peoples who are informed and experienced can give us more than those who love us.

My son is almost 1 year sober from Meth. He did a 30 day rehab, once (or twice) a week with an addiction therapist, has a sponsor and many many meetings. I seem glimmers of "my son"....but I need to tell you I still don't have him back. Recovery is very hard work....and for me all I want to see is for him to show for recovery......I will wait for anything more for when he has it to give. I am just saying hang on to the hope and glimmers but respect his process and know that he may be very different when he arrives out the other end of the roughest patch. Good thing is....you will still love him!!

Hang in there.....and don't slack off on getting help for yourself!!