Old 11-01-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SSHope

meadowsis....my brother is also an addict. Fortunately (or unfortunately) he has not been arrested and spent time in jail. Although given enough time it might happen. I understand the guilt you feel and your desire to see him well. It has taken me a long time to come to grips with the fact that the only one who can save the addict is the addict. Even knowing this doesn't always keep my heart from wondering what I can do. Oh well, one day at a time.

In your first post you mentioned that you and your husband are trying to have a family of your own. You also mentioned that stress will be a factor. Having a child myself, I know the sheer joy she has brought to my life. As much as I love my brother, I would never have traded the joy my daughter has brought me in an effort to save my brother. I love my brother and want him well, but would he have given up his addiction if it stood in the way of my having a child? I know that the answer to that is "No."

Do not allow your brother's choices to rob you of the joy that a child would bring. He is an adult. Painful as it may be, he is the only one who can save his own life. Imagine the resentment that you would feel if you gave up the chance to have a child only to have your brother continue to be an addict for the rest of his life. Give your brother's future up to your Higher Power, and take control of your own future.

Best wishes to you!