Thread: First contact
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Auvers

Matthew, I think it is wonderful that you have given this issue your attention and realize there are lurking dangers. As others have said, quitting is the only route for people who prefer more rather than a little, a buzz rather than a brief social experience. You asked about tips. I would suggest identifying the time of day/place/circumstance in which you customarily drank and alter your pattern of behavior. Make a commitment not to drink for at least 3 months because it takes that long at least for your brain to start operating without the alcohol confusing your neurotransmitters. Be easy on yourself and do not expect anything other than sobriety for the first couple of months, be aware you may have some odd physical responses aside from the urge to have a drink, such as fatigue, numbed feelings, anxiety, etc. it gets better and you will have a much deeper understanding of what role alcohol has been playing in your life after you get away from it. I knew alcohol was hurting me but I had no idea of the far reaching effects until I got down the road. Best wishes to you.