View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
redatlanta

Evilk - I am not an alcoholic but my husband is - he was sober 10 years until a recent relapse, but that is another story. I am glad you are paying attention to what your body is telling you and are going to the Doctor tomorrow.

My husband ignored these signs which started in his mid 30's. He was told he needed to quit drinking and while his labs were coming back slightly off it wasn't anything significant. So kept on, and on, and on. Till finally one day at work he started throwing up and couldn't stop. He ended up in ICU 31 days in a coma. Pancreatitis, organ failure, heart attack. He was 38. He stopped 60 days then picked up again. Another ICU episode 2 weeks later. He picked up again after this, just switched from vodka to beer. His pancreatitis became chronic and he also developed type 1 diabetes. He has had 2 major surgeries, and in the last 2 years hospitalized at least 10 times for a pancreatitis attack (not due to his current relapse) in other words even sober alcoholism still haunts him.

I hope your husband is supportive, I really, really do. But he may not be. I wish my husband could talk to you because even though he has relapsed I know he would beg you to quit drinking. As he says often - I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Come back often everyone here is wonderful, supportive and knowledgeable. Please let us know how it goes tomorrow.