Old 10-29-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
I had a sponsor that tried to parent me, verbally abusively at that, and I fired her.

Keep your eyes and ears open for a new sponsor at meetings. Maybe she just wasn't meant to be your sponsor.
This seems to me like good advice. A sponsor is not your parent and you shouldn't feel like he or she has the power to tell you that you can't go out and play in the yard. I don't know about other folks but, as an alcoholic, I tended to be immature, dependent and childlike. Also obsessive, compulsive and impatient. So I looked to others as a way of trying to control my own behavior. This didn't work at all. I had to learn to grow up and, while seeking the advice and insight of others, come to realize that I was the one who had to do it and do it for myself. If someone who acted as my sponsor walked out on me then my job was to make sure that it didn't derail my recovery.
Yes, it's dangerous to form new "relationships" in the first year of recovery. Because too much is at stake. If you're on a high wire over Niagara Falls you don't want to be carrying another person in recovery. Because if that person slips you may never reach the other side. It's very tempting to reach out and seek affection when you're feeling so bad. But maybe it's well to focus on just how dangerous the situation is. You're on a high wire and you may make it if you focus on getting through this, one foot in front of the other, one day at a time.

W.