View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

Originally Posted by soberbrah View Post
Your mindset is completely different now than it will be in that moment

Right now "drinking is not good for me, I don't intend to drink ever again"
Then "f it, I love alcohol, yolo, might as well embrace it"
I respect your advice, and I think it's basically good advice. But I'm not saying, "hmmm...booze isn't good, I sure hopefully won't probably intend to drink any." I've told myself "I will never drink again, and I will never change my mind." Less wiggle room. It's not about intentions but actions. My Beast is functionally a veggie; it can't drink without me to feed it.

I'm well aware that it can be immensely difficult to kick an addiction to alcohol. But I have to try to lead as normal an existence as I can. Obviously I have no reason to hang out in bars (that would probably be irresponsible) but I never drank in bars anyways. In the last 5 years I only drank one time in a bar. No, I was the kind of drunk that got my fix and the liquor store and brought it home.

So far, other people drinking hasn't tempted me in the least. As much as I've always liked Sam Adams beer it's amazing how sickeningly gross it smells when you're not drinking it!

I will remain vigilant as the relapse is potentially around the corner. But so far not drinking has been simpler than trying to drink a few. I know how that story ends.