Thread: We Can't Talk
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
DoubleBarrel

Originally Posted by Fathom View Post
he had the idea that I was interpretting his meaning based on something other than his words taken at face value. He refused to acknowledge the role that non-verbal cues have in our everyday communication - things like tone of voice and body language. He actually asked me to tutor him on the subject like he was a three-year old. I understand now that he was gaslighting me, and it was effective for a long while. I can't say how he convinced me to quiet that inner voice of mine letting me know something was wrong, but he did. Now, I will never again stand someone telling me to just "take my words literally." I don't think that's a reasonable option for most adult conversations.

Take care,
Fathom
Oh I think its reasonable for MOST conversations with men.
We've all been in that situation where we make a direct statement, and someone says - what do you mean by that?
My inner barometer always goes (warning, crazy!) over those.
That being said, obviously, theres a lot of room for snarky and sarcastic comments, and if someone isn't acknowledging the "tone" behind them, yeah thats pretty messed up, and I could see it being annoying as hell.

I try and say what I mean and do what I say, keep it simple.