Thread: We Can't Talk
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Eddiebuckle

Grace, my girlfriend visited me for the first time after I had been in rehab for about two weeks. It was brutal for both of us, I don't don't knwo what she expected to see, but I was incapable of holding onto a thought for more than five or ten seconds. I remember conversing with her and feeling frustrated because something would pop in my head and if I didn't get it out immediately, by the time she finished what she was saying, I could not remember what I had wanted to say to her. It didn't help that visiting hours were only three hours long, and she could only come to see me on Sundays, so there was that pressure of knowing that if we didn't say it then we wouldn't have the opportunity for another week (I hadn't been granted phone privledges at the time).

My point is that while your AH may look normal, his mental and emotional balance is quite likely shot right now. It will improve over time, but 17 days is early recovery and you shouldn't judge his responses and reactions as you normally would.

To get a better idea what is going on inside of him physically and neurologically, I suggest you read "Under the Influence" by James Milam. It's a little dated, but has tons of good information; it really helped me understand what was happening during early sobriety.

Good luck.