Thread: Stuck.
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
pipparina

IMO, you don't need to swallow whole all the language of AA. If a sponsor is asking you to do that, and it is against your beliefs, get another sponsor. This shouldn't be a forced conversion. You need to find your own way of thinking of a higher power, whether it be the sun, moon, the tides, God, whatever.
Some of the language in the BB is outdated, but it didn't bother me, and I found the methods prescribed in there easy to swallow. But I came from a traditional Catholic upbringing and neve had a problem with God

Are there other meetings with more newcomers?

Now, I will be criticized for this by the BB thumpers, but I will say it anyway. The only thing you need to do is stay sober. It sure helps to have a program, whatever it be, to help live life sober without turning into a grump, since our attitudes do need to change. So for me, I took what worked for me and left the rest. I did the steps, I called my sponsor, I did some service (although for me, that didn't become a big part of my recovery)
I ignored the drill Sargent methods. I ignored those that said I didn't need therapy because all my problems could be solved in the 12 steps. I ignored those that said I shouldn't be on anti depressants. Etc etc. I'll be celebrating 15 years in April if I don't pick up a drink

I know it shouldn't be used as a cafeteria, plan, but some of it doesn't work for everyone. You will find your way. But keep going. Make it work for you. And use other venues too (like this place)

I know I'm all over the place with my thoughts. I find it hard to write in these tiny boxes, so pm me if you don't understand something I wrote