Old 10-21-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Daisypetal

Thank you all for your support and advice. I love the idea several suggested about volunteering. It hit on the fact that even in recovery I tend to be very self-centered. (hate admitting that). I realized a lot of my activities to stave off boredom have been things like reading, hiking, knitting, etc.....things I do by myself - by choice, of course. I've never been outgoing and have difficulty relating to people, though I've recognized how much better I feel when I'm around others. I need to make a conscious effort to get out of the shallow world of one (me) I've been living in. I think for the better part of this past year I was riding on the "pink cloud" and ignoring reality. I certainly was in the frame of mind that since my life sucked while drinking, it could only un-suck not drinking. Obviously, learning to live in and deal with the real, sober world (complete with boredom and other issues) is something I need to work on and after a long drinking career, need to realize I'm not going to get all the skills down right away to do these things (despite my thinking I can).

Lots of thanks and gratitude for you all! A change in perspective certainly helps strengthen a positive attitude! and stay happily sober another day!