View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by jakec
I'm really nervous about doing something stupid so I really need to keep myself occupied.
Glad to have you posting again, jakec, and well done on your sobriety. I guess you understand that getting sober is up to you simply because you get to choose whether you drink or not, or use or not. You are taking responsibility for your drinking, and taking responsibility for your sobriety too, and these are great courageous things to have done.

I guess you also know that any thought of drinking/using again, or any idea of self doubt that you will be successful, all such thoughts come from that urge to get high and drunk, not from you. You know how to recognize the Addictive Voice when it speaks up and what to do about it - you accept that it will whine from time to time, and that it doesn't have any power over you anymore.

Like ArtSoul says, this is all a mental puzzle because the present moment is 'now', no matter what the day on the calendar is, and Friday is no different than others except in how we think of it. Have you made a plan about continuing to drink or use now and in the future?

As for what to do, you seem to be confined to quarters for a while, look into 'urge surfing'. It ties in very well with AVRT and is something that you can do anytime, no meeting required. Of course, you should post here if you would like some support. Check out the chat line too, there is almost always someone there.

You can do this, JakeC, you have the ability to choose.